Now before the fight is over for one of the most influential boxers. Monday Canelo Alvarez announced that they will bypass the immediate rematch with the WBA light heavyweight champion. Dmitry Bivol to face arch rival Gennadius Golovkin in September
ESPN Deportes reported the news first.
Alvarez had met Golovkin earlier this year in September, but only after he moved the lightweight weight to challenge the belt to challenge the undefeated Bivolum. The Bivoli gained their hardest and unanimously overcame Alvarez which was not as close as the scores appeared.
Alvarez said after the fight that he wanted to represent Bivol, but decided to go ahead with a contractual obligation to fight Golovkin instead. The fight to curtail the splits is a courageous fight for the mid-weight title in 2017, but Alvarez won a major decision in 2018.
“We already have that contract” [to face Golovkin in September]That agreement is to be continued as we started and I think those two are the most important fights in boxing, the fight with Golovkin and the rematch with Bivol,” Alvarez told ESPN Deportes. “Unfortunately we lost, but that doesn’t mean that I won’t try again. Perseverance is important here, and we will do it again.
“It is certain that we will return in September. But in the coming days, today, tomorrow, tomorrow, we will report [third Golovkin] to fight. We just have to wait a little bit.”
The first two battles of Alvarez-Golovkin were marine skirmishes. It was first recorded for starters by managing an odd scorecard from judge Adelaide Byrd, who had Alvarez winning 10 rounds and 2. In a short period of time, it led to a major rotation contest from the Nevada Athletic Commission. Dave Moretti had 115-113 for Golovkin and Don Trella also, 114-114.
Restoration was filed for the following May, but Alvarez tested positive for low amounts of banned substance Clenbuterol. The fight was postponed to September, and the competition has warmed up because Golovkin fired Alvarez for a positive test.
Moretti and Steve Weisfeld pictured to win 115-113 for Alvarez, with judge Glenn Feldman scoring it 114-114.
With that fight, Alvarez went on to become the undisputed first-ever super mid-weight champion and became the top spot in the pound ratings in the pound arches. Then he attempted to bring his light weight on his belt, but was beaten up by the bivolents, and fell from the top of the pound.
Golovkin stayed at middleweight. On April 9, Ryota Murata stopped for ninth in the IBF-WBA prelude.
Both of them previously sold more than 1 million on pay per view. Mercedes Gates had $27 million for the rematch and $24.5 million for the first contest, third and fourth in Nevada history.