Gervonta Davis’ wife says she’s not hurt after domestic violence boxer’s arrest

WASHINGTON, DC - DECEMBER 5: Gervonta Davis answers questions at the upcoming General Conference on December 05, 2022 in Washington, DC.  Five-time world champion Gervonta Davis will fight undefeated world champion Hector Luis Garcia for the WBA Lightweight Title on Jan.  7 at Capital One Arena.  (Photo by Katherine Frey/The Washington Post via Getty Images)

Gervonta Davis has seen a litany of legal issues over the past few years, one of which still has her facing prison time. (Photo by Katherine Frey/The Washington Post via Getty Images)

The boxer’s mother, Gervonta Davis, released a statement Friday saying she did not want to harm him his arrest for alleged domestic violence earlier this week.

Davis is facing a misdemeanor charge of battery causing bodily harm after an incident Tuesday in which he allegedly hit a woman with a “closed-handed type of slap,” leaving her with a small abrasion to the inside of her upper lip. She reportedly called 911 asking for help, I heard ESPN got it:

“Please help me; I need help, I’m going to love it. I’m trying to go home, I’ve got a baby in the car and he’s going to attack me… He’s going to kill me.”

A moment later, he ended the call. She was reunited with the police 50 seconds later, shouting, “I have to go. I’m in danger now.”

Three days later, she posted the following message to Instagram, stating that both she and Davis were at fault, that the call to 911 was unnecessary and that Davis had not harmed her daughter. He said that he would seek advice;

“The past few days have been very painful and very tiring for all parties involved. I am proud to be the most private, because the last thing I wanted to be publicized.

“The state of our relationship was in a fragile state and Gervonta and I were both at fault for the argument. While emotions were running high, I made the necessary call in an intense moment, while I was furious. Gervonta will not. It will harm me or our daughter.

“Today we ask for the necessary help to move forward with our lives. We are sure that we will succeed in our movement by cooperating with the plan provided to us.”

The woman’s attorney reportedly confirmed her identity on Instagram to ESPN.

Davis was released Wednesday afternoon on $1,000 bail. Soon the tween will assume that he has laid hands on either his daughter or his mother. The tweet has since been deleted.

Around the same time the woman made the announcement, Davis announced that his fight against Hector Luis Garcia would still take place at 7 p.m. on January 7, as part of a Premier Boxing Champions pay-per-view event on Showtime. It’s unclear if this means the event organizers have given the all-clear or if Davis is expressing his hope.

It was far from Davis’ first case, and far from the first time he had dropped a charge after being arrested for assault. He was arrested for aggravated assault in 2017, with charges later dropped. He was also arrested in 2018 for fighting in Washington, DC with an unknown motive. In 2020, he was arrested for a domestic case against his ex-girlfriend, but was eventually released.

Later in 2020, Davis was allegedly involved in a bike and hit-and-run and charged with fleeing the scene. He is scheduled to go on trial on February 16, 2023 after taking a plea deal from a hit and run arrest. He was rejected in September watches 14 criminal charges from the incidenteach sentence of imprisonment for one year.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *